Award for Distinguished Service to Museums
The Award for Distinguished Service to Museums was authorized by our board in 1981 to recognize an individual's excellence and contributions to the museum profession for at least 20 years.
The award, a medal and citation, is usually presented at the Alliance’s annual meeting and only given in years when there is a worthy nominee.
- Evaluations are based on individual contribution to institutions, the museum profession and the local, state, national or international museum community.
- Nominees should have 20 years or more experience in the museum field.
- The nominee may be a currently active or retired museum professional or trustee.
- Individuals cannot self-nominate.
- Narrative summary of the nominee's career
- Up to 1,000 words
- Information on the nominee's involvement in museums and his/her specific contributions and impact.
- A curriculum vitae of the nominee. One copy of supplemental published materials may be included as well as a bibliography of published work.
- Two one-page letters of support from individuals who know the nominee well.