Nonprofit Voter Resources
The Alliance shares a selection of resources available for nonprofit museums, organizations and their staffs, many provided by Nonprofit Vote
. Find easy-to-use, detailed information about what you and your staff can and cannot do, checklists for voter engagement and permissible activities, fact sheets on nonprofits and ballot measures, and links to voter registration and polling information.
National Voter Registration Day takes place each September. The Alliance is a National Partner of this important nationwide initiative (September 27, 2016) to help ensure no one misses the chance to vote because of lack of information about their voting status, polling place or how to register to vote.
- BestColleges.com has created a comprehensive voter’s guide for students. The state-by-state directory explores voter eligibility criteria, residency requirements, registration deadlines, and other voting guidelines. The key issues guide takes a bipartisan look at the issues and the voting rights manual outlines the registration process for college students in all circumstances. Finally, the voting resources list includes links to campus organizations, registration portals, and more.
- This two page checklist from Nonprofit Vote provides practical steps on topics ranging from getting leadership buy-in and creating your engagement plan, to voter registration, engaging candidates and ballot measures, with links to additional resources throughout.
- This fact sheet from Nonprofit Vote shares the important ways voter engagement helps build stronger nonprofits and give voice to our communities.
- This fact sheet from Nonprofit Vote uses a few key data points to show why it matters that the people served by nonprofits of all types vote.
What You Can and Can't Do
- These days, every year feels like an election year. Museums and nonprofits can participate in advocacy and advocate on behalf of their mission. See our fundamental guide to what is and is not allowed in an election year.
- This comprehensive, online guide by Nonprofit Vote will help nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations interested in encouraging voting and voter participation among their staff, board, clients, constituents, and communities. It provides in-depth coverage on issues ranging from candidate forums to voter education and issue advocacy, social media guidelines and much more.
- This brief by Nonprofit Vote provides additional resources and information on political activity and permitted voter engagement, with links to lengthier guidelines.
- This brief by Nonprofit Vote provides succinct questions and answers about nonprofit staff members’ personal participation in political activities.
- Outside of work, nonprofit employees are free to volunteer for political campaigns or engage in other partisan political activities. In this Nonprofit Vote webinar, learn how to make important divisions between your nonpartisan work on the clock and your partisan activities off the clock. Get the Power Point.
- This brief by Nonprofit Vote explains how nonprofits can work on ballot measures and how ballot measures are different from candidate elections.
General Advocacy & Lobbying Guidelines Looking for lobbying and advocacy guidance for nonprofits, beyond election season?
Check out Independent Sector's Nonprofit Advocacy Resources
page or the Alliance for Justice's Bolder Advocacy Navigating the Rules