Advocacy Alert: Jan. 14
FY14 Funding Legislation Released
After weeks of talks that lasted through the holidays, negotiators last night unveiled legislation that will fund the federal government through the end of the current fiscal year, September 30, 2014. While December’s Bipartisan Budget Act set overall federal spending levels, this 1,600-page agreement provides detailed funding totals and directions to each individual agency. The $1.1 trillion proposal would partially restore (to varying degrees) many of the reductions to museums’ federal priorities caused by last year’s sequestration cuts. Congress is expected to approve the package by the end of the weekend.
- $30.1 million for the Office of Museum Services at the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a $900,000 increase from the FY13, post-sequestration total;
- $146 million for the National Endowment for the Arts, a $7.6 million increase;
- $146 million for the National Endowment for the Humanities, a $7.6 million increase;
- $2.562 billion for the National Park Service, a $163 million increase, including
- $56.4 million for the Historic Preservation Fund, a $3 million increase; and
- $55 million for the National Science Foundation’s Advancing Informal STEM Learning program, a $7.2 million increase.
“This legislation represents an important step in halting the decline of federal support for America’s museums,” said Alliance President Ford W. Bell. “But if we stop making our case now, history will regard this progress as little more than a temporary blip on the long march to irrelevance. Museums must continue to demonstrate their economic, educational, and community impact to legislators, and Museums Advocacy Day 2014 provides the perfect opportunity to do so.”
There is still time to register for Museums Advocacy Day 2014 by the Jan. 24 registration deadline! Join us in Washington, DC for a day of issue briefings and policy updates followed by a day of meetings on Capitol Hill. The Alliance makes it easy–after you register, we match you with your elected officials and set up meetings for you. We provide the materials and coaching to make your Congressional visits successful. See what others have said about Museums Advocacy Day.