The Alliance is committed to cultivating diverse leaders across the field by providing access to professional development and networking opportunities offered at our Annual Meeting. Through the fellowship program, we aim to include your voice and the voices of those whose presence is greatly needed in discussions about field-wide issues.
Deadline: November 9, 2015
Those who should apply:
Alliance Professional and Student members who are:
- Students, emerging and mid-career professionals
- Underrepresented* within the profession
*This includes individuals who identify with one or more of the following underrepresented groups: racial/ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and LGBT.
Individuals must be Alliance professional or student individual members at the time of application.
Individuals who have previously been awarded a fellowship to attend the Annual Meeting are not eligible.
Fellows are required to attend:
- The entire meeting,
- Alliance Fellowship breakfast and
- Ticketed Professional Network events accompanying the award.
Fellowships awarded to Alliance Professional and Student members includes complimentary conference registration and selected ticketed events and a $750 cash award to cover travel expenses.
Fellows are expected to stay in the Alliance housing block for Washington DC. Housing information is available under Annual Meeting Housing.
How to Apply
Fellowship applicants submit via an online process. Fellows will be selected from among a competitive and talented pool of peers. Individuals who have previously been awarded a fellowship to attend the Annual Meeting are not eligible.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to compile their application materials before starting the online process. Applicants will not be able to save and return to complete their application at a later time. Incomplete applications submitted will not be considered. We will not collate your application.
Prepare a single PDF format electronic file with the following 3 items:
- Submit an essay. Diversity and inclusion are a critical component of the Alliance’s strategic plan, reflecting the increasing importance and awareness of these communities in museum audiences. Please prepare a single essay (no longer than 500 words) addressing:
- How your participation will help stimulate a diverse, rich conversation at the conference
- How your career will benefit from attending the meeting
- Resume or curriculum vitae (2-3 page limit)
- Letter of support written by a supervisor, employer or faculty adviser that speaks to the benefit of you attending the annual meeting to your institution and the broader museum field. Only one letter is required.
To complete the online application, the applicant will need to:
- Login into the Alliance website,
- Verify contact information,
- Complete the demographic profile and
- Upload your application materials.
Please contact Registration if you need assistance with your login.
Applications are due Monday, November 9, 2015
Notification & Registration
All Fellowship applicants will be notified by e-mail of their fellowship status by January 15, 2016.
Awardees will have a week to confirm their attendance. Once awardees have confirmed their attendance, they will receive a special registration code with instructions to receive their complimentary registration and are eligible to purchase additional event tickets not included or conflicting with other fellowship events.
Upon receipt of confirmation of acceptance and a signed IRS W-9 form (for U.S. Citizens) or W-8 for non-U.S. citizens, travel stipends will be issued to Alliance Professional and Student fellows. Please note this may take 2 to 4 weeks to arrive.
Fellowship awards are non-transferable.