Museum Assessment Program
Since its inception in 1981, the Museum Assessment Program (MAP) has helped over 4,600 small and mid-sized museums of all types strengthen operations, plan for the future and meet standards.
Through a one-year process of self-assessment, institutional activities and consultative peer review, your museum emerges with:
- a greater alignment of activities, mission, and resources
- an analysis of its strengths, weaknesses and opportunities
- a prioritized roadmap for improving operations and meeting standards
- its practices benchmarked to standards
- enhanced credibility with potential funders and donors
- improved communications between staff, board and other constituents
- expert advice, recommendations, and resources
- increased capacity for strategic planning
Learn more about the impact MAP can have on your museum
MAP offers three different assessments to choose from
Find out which one is right for your museum
There are two Application deadlines a year: July 1 and December 1.
MAP is supported through a cooperative agreement between the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the American Alliance of Museums.