Costs and Services
Through a Cooperative Agreement with the Institute of Museum and Library Services, AAM is able to offer MAP assessments at a low cost to museums that meet the eligibility criteria. The participation fee is based on your annual operating expenses and is due at the beginning of the process.
Annual operating expense
$125,000 or less
More than $1 million
Other possible costs:
- $1,350 to add a second peer reviewer (optional)
- Peer Reviewer site visit travel expenses that exceed the cap set by MAP
- Costs associated with food or beverage for when the Peer Reviewer(s) is on-site
- Postage, photocopying, and long-distance telephone charges
What you get!
MAP includes the following services, valued at approximately $4,000-$6,000*
- The time, expertise, and travel expenses for one peer museum professional to visit your museum for 1-3 days and offer guidance and consultation
- A written report of the Peer Reviewer’s findings and recommendations, with prioritized next steps and resources MAP
- Self-Study Materials: a detailed workbook with questions and activities
- 3 live webinars to help you through each step of the MAP experience
- AAM’s recorded Museum Essentials Webinar Series
- An essential set of books from the Alliance Bookstore targeted to your assessment type
- Access to extensive resources, sample documents and customized reference services through our Information Center
- MAP staff guidance and feedback
- A certificate of completion
*Your museum’s MAP participation is IMLS funded, but is not a grant. AAM does not disperse any money to your museum. AAM receives grant funding from IMLS to deliver this comprehensive program and service to your museum.