- Take the Pledge of Excellence for your institution if you haven’t done it already. This step is a pre-requisite.
- Use the free Alliance Reference Guides, sample documents, recorded webinars, publications, and activities to carefully assess existing versions of your Core Documents against the required elements and revise as needed; or develop your documents from scratch to meet the required elements.
- Have your documents ready to upload and your credit card information at hand.
- Log in. If you and/or your museum does not already have a user account, you will be required to create one first.
- Open and complete the Application Form.
Read and agree to the terms and conditions for participating in this program.
- Step 1: Provide basic contact and profile information about your institution. Any information previously provided to the Alliance will appear here. Please confirm it is correct or update/fill in as needed.
- Step 2: Upload your Core Documents, provide their respective approval dates, and answer a question about the development of each. Note: regardless of how many Core Document you initially submit, the mission statement must be included at the time of application.
- If your institution owns or manages objects/collections you must answer question 10, regardless of whether or not you are submitting its collections management policy for review at the time of application.
Provide payment information (credit card only) and submit the application form. You will be provided with an Order Confirmation form that serves as your receipt.
- This application must be completed in one sitting. You are not able save your work and return to it later and there is a timeout period of 20 minutes.
- If you change your mind or find you are not ready to submit the application, you can cancel and exit the application process at any time. However, you cannot save your work.
- When in the application form you can return to the previous step or jump ahead to the next one using the buttons on the bottom of each page. Do not use your browser’s back/forwards buttons or refresh feature, or you will lose data already entered.
- You may upload more than one file per Core Document if applicable. Acceptable document formats include Word (.doc/docx), Excel (.xls/xlsx.) PowerPoint (.ppt/pptx), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and PDF (.pdf). We suggest converting PowerPoints into PDFs to reduce the file size.
- If you get a security notice that only secure content is being displayed, do NOT click "show all content". If you do, you will be forced to refresh your browser and lose data already entered. Either just ignore the notice or click the X to close the security warning dialogue window or notice bar.
- Once you’ve submitted your application, you can no longer access the application form to upload additional Core Documents. Alliance staff will provide you with instructions for submitting any remaining Core Documents.
The Alliance staff will review your institution’s application and documents once payment has been received and processed. Staff will contact you if information or documents need to be replaced, added or changed based on the results of the review.
The museum gets a decision on whether the museum’s documents passed.
The museum informs the Alliance of any changes to its documents and reaffirms its eligibility every five years. This step is not required for Accredited museums, as the document review is part of reaccreditation.