Building Audience Engagement and Public Awareness through Crowdfunding
Wednesday, Nov. 20
2–3:30 p.m. (ET)
In May 2013, the Smithsonian Freer and Sackler Galleries embarked on the Smithsonian’s first major crowdfunding campaign, raising more than $170,000 for the exhibition “Yoga: The Art of Transformation.” Its success depended on much more than fundraising tactics, and involved marketing, branding, messaging across multiple platforms, planting word-of-mouth promotion, and special events. Join the team behind the campaign to learn what worked—and what other organizations can learn from the experience.
How Will I Benefit?
By participating in this program, attendees will be better able to:
- Gain insights into the behind-the-scenes structure of the campaign, including staffing, resources and timing
- Work with corporate sponsors and other supporting organizations
- Explore how to use crowdfunding to reach new audiences excited about the organization (whether they give tangible or intangible support)
- Apply “lessons learned” on strategy and maximizing return on investment (ROI)
Who Should Attend
Marketing, PR and development staff and other decision-makers considering using crowdfunding, and invested in raising contributed income as well as the profile, reputation and audience share of their institution.
- Miranda Gale, project coordinator, Freer and Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian, Washington, DC
- Yoon Lee, director of digital philanthropy, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
- Allison Peck, head of public affairs and marketing, Freer and Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian, Washington, DC
- Greg Stevens, assistant director, professional development, American Alliance of Museums, Washington, DC
- Adam La Faci, senior producer, LearningTimes, New York, NY
Registered participants receive access instructions 48 hours prior to live event.
Cancellation requests for Alliance professional development programs must be received in writing no later than one week prior to the event date to receive a full refund of your registration fees. Refund requests will not be accepted after that date. The Alliance reserves the right to cancel any program at any time, for any reason. In the event of a program cancellation by the Alliance, attendees will receive a full refund of their registration fees. For face-to-face programs, the Alliance is not responsible for any travel or hotel expenses incurred as a result of your participation or cancellation of an event.